#MyIdealPtExp Social Currency - Mayo Center for Innovation - Healthcare Design

What Are These Coins? The My Ideal Patient Experience Project

Post Written By Andy DeLaO
MIPE Coin

Have you seen these wooden nickels? What is with all of these wooden coins?

Let me tell you a story…..

Late in 2014 I attended the MedX conference in which I was able to meet one of my virtual mentors, Marie Ennis-O’Connor (@JBBC). During those few days I had the privilege of listening to all of the patient experts. I also was able to meet others such as Janet Freeman-Daily (@JFreemanDaily), Casey Quinlan (@MightyCasey) and Annette (@anetto).

What stood out to me was how well versed everyone was in their own diagnosis. I also reflected on my own success in healthcare, and that it all pointed back to my ability to connect and co-create with patients.

Inspiration struck. I articulated to Marie several ideas I had on how to change healthcare. I wanted to change the paradigm on how healthcare works with patients. For far too long patients have been on the outside looking in, and when they are invited, it is more as an after thought.

I wanted to demonstrate that Janet, Annette, Britt, Casey, Marie, and many others are more than just patients, they are experts in their diagnosis. That expertise is worth something, and it needs to be acknowledged.

I quickly reached out and put together my board of advisers. Yes, they are all patients.

Over the course of the next year I worked through multiple iterations.

Then one fateful night in March I wrote a post entitled: An Anti-Patient Experience In Cancer. (Find post here) Which led Dr. Gia Sison (@GiaSison) to reach out to me and ask, do we truly understand what an “Ideal Patient Experience” is from the vantage point of patients?

My response was, I think I have an idea, but we should test, confirm, and gain some additional insight from patients on what their definition is of and ideal patient experience.

We created the #MyIdealPtExp and registered it with Symplur.

Over the course of the next 6 months we tracked, generated, and gained additional insights. This helped to confirm a few thoughts as well as added a few more to the project.

Which led me to asking the question….

How do we take the conversation, ideas, thoughts, and insights from our social identities and turn them into actionable change in the physical world of healthcare?

Hence, the new project: www.myidealptexp.com (site under construction, but please go check it out and sign up!!)

This is a team of patient experts and healthcare industry “insiders” (like me) to form a team of people to take on projects. Projects that will truly transform healthcare.

Our use cases range from the Ministry of Health (tackling cancer in China and Africa-current project), Radiology (creating an improved “patient experience” and new business models-pending projects), Hospitals and healthcare systems (co-designing Patient Advisory Boards; co-creating new programs for obesity/cancer/etc; technology investment) to Medical Technology Companies (market research-pending project; advisory boards).

The coins….well the coins are extremely special to me.

Everyone talks about incentives. Everyone talks about time. Patients, Physicians, Payers, Politicians…everyone has limited time. Yet time is the one thing that is the most valuable.

What if we could get back to focusing on the basics of medicine? What if we could encourage and reward the patient and physician for focusing on spending the time, to build the trust, leading to transparent conversations on health and care, and then teams work to manage the transitions?

What if we could reward one another for focusing on what matters most to patients? To physicians? Could we also then benefit payers and politicians, maybe even pharma and medical technology companies?

So in the spirit of thinking differently, causing a ruckus, and doing work that matters, I created a social currency for healthcare.

The #MyIdealPtExp is a social currency based on the 4T’s:

Time – Trust – Transparency – Transition

In today’s format, it is a “social” object that helps to generate a dialogue between patients and physicians. It reminds of what matters most, and that it begins and ends with “time.” We can leverage the “social” object to set expectations and acknowledge physicians and care teams that take the time to connect and help to deliver a #MyIdealPtExp. (Social object terminology via Hugh MacLeod @hughcartoons)

In the next phase, it will become a digital currency.

A currency that can only be generated when the focus is on the 4T’s. A currency by patients for care teams. A currency to help us all remember….

Scaling change in healthcare occurs one patient at a time.