D-Patients - Patients Who Are Designers - Mayo Center for Innovation

Why Healthcare Needs Patients Who Design

D-Patients: Patients Who Design

Prescribe Design has launched a series where we celebrate designers who have the first-hand experience of their own personal healthcare concern. Like all patients, they face ongoing challenges in managing their health, managing their treatment, and managing their care. As designers, they have used their creativity, strengths, and innovation skills to create tools and interventions that fill the gaps in their ongoing care.

The medical community has established the concept of an e-patient, as someone who participates fully in his or her medical care — particularly through electronic means. This series introduces a new phenomenon of the d-patient, as someone who engages in their own medical care using their own creativity and maker skills.

These d-patients offer us a unique lens into the Prescribe Design mission of celebrating the role of design in healthcare. Through their extremely personal first-hand experiences and expertise they demonstrate real-world examples of how designers view healthcare interactions and real-world impacts of implementing their design solutions.

An excerpt from Katie McCurdy’s #dPatient story. Read the whole story here.

“As a designer, problem-solving is an instinct and a daily practice. I spend my working days trying to creatively solve all manner of problems. I’m constantly trying to figure out how to make systems more efficient, make interfaces more user-friendly, communicate more visually, tell more compelling stories, help my teams work together more effectively, and understand my end users better so that I can help create appropriate solutions. When I go home at night, I can’t ‘turn off’ this way of thinking.  Especially when it comes to situations where the stakes are high – like with my health.”

An excerpt from Logan Merriam’s #dPatient story. Read the whole story here.

“At one point I was frustrated by a particular medication that was ping-ponging me back and forth between its side effects and my Crohn’s symptoms. I tried, clumsily, to explain the rollercoaster I was experiencing without much success. At the time I was getting my degree in graphic design, so finally I opened Adobe Illustrator, drew a graph of the situation, and emailed my gastroenterologist to show him what I was feeling.”

As a companion to the conversation happening on the Prescribe Design site, we have also introduced the hashtag #dPatient on twitter to facilitate real-time conversations between patients, physicians and designers.   Please join in the conversation.