Changing The Existing Healthcare Model - Mayo Center for Innovation

The Writing Is On The Wall Healthcare

Post Written By Andy Delao (CancerGeek)

For the past few months I have been traveling around the globe. In my travels I have been talking to “leaders” from Ministries of Health, Insurance Companies, Hospitals, Physicians, and Professional Societies.

In many of the conversations I continue to hear more of the same story:

In order for change to happen, the incentives need to be in place.

Things such as, “…in order for physicians to adopt, the incentives need to support the actions.”

“…until incentives align it is difficult for hospitals to adopt changes in care models.”

“…in order for me to spend more time with patients the payment models need to align accordingly.”

Repeatedly I hear that in order for people to make changes inside of healthcare, the money trail needs to lead the charge.

Yes, that worked so well with the adoption of EHR/EMR.

Leaders followed the dollars only to adopt and implement data archives that do not talk, interact, or share knowledge across the care continuum for patients.

Since when do “leaders” follow?

Really?

At what point did leaders take the stance that in order to make a change it has to be easy and the dollars need to exist?

Well the writing is on the wall….

Writing on the wall(Picture via Dr. Roozehra Khan @RozyKhanDO that made me stop and think)

You can wait for payments, incentives, and the current model to be optimized.  You can wait for the payers of today, insurance and government, to decide on how you will be paid tomorrow. Wait for them to define “value” for you, and the “worth” you provide.

You can be a follower.

I ask why?

Why wait for someone else to define the time, manner, and the change we make?

It takes time, work, and effort in defining the challenge(s).

It takes even more time and effort to understand those definitions.

When you have a deep understanding of those challenges you can leverage them to create a different world view. A new model.

I prefer to lead and create a new model that makes the other models obsolete.

I prefer to learn from the venture capitalists. First in, first out.

Creating and designing a new model is risky. It takes time and effort. It is challenging. It requires me to be comfortable with things that are uncomfortable. It forces me to live on the edges. It pushes me to enjoy the white space.

It makes us ask, “People like us, do things like….”

This is where the incentive exists.

The incentive to be a leader.

Will you lead with me?

Or will you follow?