Collaboration In Healthcare - Transform - Center for Innovation - Mayo

Does Healthcare Need Cooperation Or Collaboration?

Post Written By Andy DeLao

When discussing healthcare with various people across the globe I often hear the words cooperation and collaboration used in the same sentence.

Do we need cooperation or do we need collaboration in healthcare?

Cooperation means working with someone in the sense of enabling them. Informing a patient that an order has been written for labs can be a sense of cooperation.

Collaboration is an active endeavor working alongside someone to achieve something. Understanding a patients expectation related to their course of treatment, providing the resources, and facilitating their enrollment to hospice versus additional treatment could be an example of collaboration.

In my opinion, I believe cooperation is usually more passive in nature. I have an idea, I know what is best, this is my recommendation, I am the expert so move out of the way and thy will shall be done.

Collaboration requires all involved stakeholders to listen to one another, define the problem together, and understand the expectations and requirements for what a successful outcome will look like upon completion. Collaboration takes time, effort, and commitment.

Cooperation can be done in the snap of a finger.

Collaboration requires multiple fingers on multiple hands on multiple individuals knowing when to snap, how often to snap, and coordinating the snaps to be in unison.

Patients have had plenty of cooperation in their healthcare experiences.

Patients need collaboration.

Guess what?

Physicians, Payers, and even the Politicians need the collaboration of patients in order to redesign and make healthcare effective.

Words build worlds.

Leave cooperation at the door and shake the hand of collaboration; start with a hello and always end with a goodbye to the patient.

As always, you can feel free to contact me at: CANCERGEEK@GMAIL.COM or follow me on Twitter @cancergeek

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.