In"Mo"vative

I believe that Movember has to be one of the best public awareness campaigns out there. My colleague Ryan Rosenweig introduced me to it and I said “why not?”

As someone who rarely goes more than 3 days without shaving (and even then, only on the weekend, when no one will see me in a professional capacity) this is a commitment. When you take into account the fact that I am even forgoing kisses from my wife until I shave, you get a better sense of the grandeur of the commitment I have made.

But why would I do this? Why is this campaign so powerful?

• It’s personal. I wear it on my face. I talk to people about what I am doing.
  • It’s simple. All I have to do is nothing—as opposed to the something (shave) that I usually do—to get asked about it.
  • It’s social: I wouldn’t have done it if Ryan hadn’t also committed to doing it, and I continue to participate because I know he will continue fostering his meager mo’
  • It’s multi-tiered in its levels of participation: you can wear facial hair, or you can contribute money. In my case I am not paying money, but sacrificing (postponing) physical affection from my wife.

This is an innovative campaign. It is a multifaceted experience that would do Doblin’s 10 types of Innovation proud.

Here’s our invitation to you:

Hi,
As you know it's Movember, Ryan and I (and there is still a chance for Jey and Perry!) have have joined the movement and will be donating our upper lip to the cause.

Our facial hairs have already generated some laughs, but it’s all in the name of raising vital awareness and funds for cancers affecting men.

As you know, I promised this morning that the top contributor to Matt’s page will get to choose the moustache that graces Matt’s face for the week of November 28. Please recognize that the length and placement of his facial hair may dictate the styles available (he is currently pushing somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8 in length). Final decision is made Monday at 5:00. The moustache will remain intact until Friday December 2.

And Ryan promised that if his donations beat out Matt’s, he will show up at his brother’s wedding with it still intact.
Choose whichever sounds most appealing to you.

Why are we so passionate about men's health?

• 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in  their lifetime  
  • A man is diagnosed with prostate cancer every 2.2  minutes  
  • 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their  lifetime  
  • 24% of men are less likely to go the doctor compared  to women  

Please support Matt’s efforts by making a donation at http://mobro.co/MonsieurGardner
Please support Ryan’s efforts by making a donation at http://mobro.co/MrBearcat

(Movember is a registered 501 (c)(3) charity, donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.)

Sincerely,

Matt and Ryan